Skip to main content

Stories told by art and with art: Van Gogh


Next month is the month of the art in the school, we'll have a class about Van Gogh. Here's the lesson plan:

First, a story about Vincent.

Imagine a small village in Holland in 19th century. A big family of the local pastor. Strange, "difficult" oldest boy - Vincent. He loves nature and enjoys long walks around the village.

He grows up and goes to a boarding school, then another. He's really miserable there.

His uncle owns a famous art gallery shop with stores in the Hague, London, Paris. Both Vincent and his younger brother Theo work in the gallery stores. Vincent learns a lot about art, he also visits museums and art galleries. Vincent tries his hand in several different professions, but finally at the age of 27, decides to be a painter.

Next, stories about Vincent's art.

Vincent moves to the south of France. He loves the warm climate and enjoys painting outside, especially in spring and summertime. The paintings that we'll discuss in class are created there: Wheat Field, Almond Blossom and Sunflowers. (We'll also discuss Starry Night.)

Arles and south of France inspired Vincent to create exuberant art. Can you think of a place that inspired or profoundly affected you?

Here are some of the places that really inspired me:

1) Jerusalem. The wonder of seeing the Jerusalem from above from Armon Hanaziv lookout.

2) Tel Aviv beaches. After Jerusalem, I had hard time getting used to Tel Aviv's aesthetics... But every time I got tired of it, I went to the beach, and there it was - beauty all around me.

3) Hayarkon park in Tel Aviv. When I first moved nearby, I used to get from the office and watch sunsets over the river. I used to think: "I can't believe I'm so lucky as to live here and watch sunsets over the river every day."

We'll divide the class into four workgroups. Each group will discuss a painting and try to find a story that this painting is telling us.

Resources from the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam:

Who was Vincent Van Gogh?  https://youtu.be/Zy3K2Lcw7hQ

Vincent Van Gogh - my story https://youtu.be/3q5fuVFWe0Q

"What are you good at?!"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories about Summer - "Summer" by Rotraut Susanne Berner

Summer is in full swing in our part of the world, and it's a great opportunity to tell stories about the seasons, the changing weather and summer activities. "Summer" is a picture book by German artist and illustrator  Rotraut Susanne Berner . It's a part of the series called "All Around Bustletown" - or simply "Wimmelbuch" in Berner's native German . Wimmelbuch , or  Wimmelbilderbuch literally translates from German as a "book abound with pictures". German philologist Cornelia Rémi describes Wimmelbooks as "a type of wordless picture books which display a series of panoramas teeming with an immense amount of characters and details". According to Rémi, Wimmelbooks have "the potential to accompany children ... along their path to literacy and introduce them to different strategies of coping with the world and of telling stories". Indeed, in our story circle focused on  Berner's  Summer,...

Reading Aloud Chapter Books during Holidays or Family Trips

One of my favorite childhood memories is from one winter when all our family (mom, dad, me, and my younger brother) got a nasty flu and stayed home for a week or so. We were all feeling miserable, the four of us lying and resting in our parents' bed... it wasn't the best of times. Until my dad came up with the idea of a family read-aloud - and my mom chose a book for the occasion, and a great book at that - "Treasure Island" by Robert Louis Stevenson. All of a sudden, our miserable week was transformed. Mom and dad took turns reading, for 20 minutes or so at a time - they were also sick, after all! - and my brother and I listened and talked about the adventures of Jim and his friends and the pirates between the reads-aloud. In his beautiful poem "Block City" Stevenson described this sweeping feeling of a child's imagination running wild during imaginary games: What are you able to build with your blocks? Castles and palaces, temples and docks. Rain may k...

My Portable Story Classroom - More Items

I'm starting a new storytelling community - and I couldn't be more excited and also more terrified! Excited - because it's in my native Russian language, and because my youngest (he's 2.8yo) will be a part of it. Terrified - because it's the youngest group I've ever worked with, toddlers and young preschoolers: ages 3-5yo. Also it's probably the most diverse age category, since older siblings (5-7yo) will also join. I've written elsewhere how to start a storytelling community , and also what's in my portable classroom . Now, for this young and diverse audience, I'm adding more items to my portable classroom. Every activity needs a time and a place, and the items in our portable classroom will help to define these. Place: we're meeting at the local park. In order to "define" our little corner of the world, we'll bring: - Picnic blanket - to sit on and talk and read and play  - Garland - to make the space prettier a...